CamelTraining.com Forum Index CamelTraining.com
Welcome to Camel Trainers
Training camels for your safety and theirs
[Articles] [Camel Vet] [Home]

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CamelTraining.com Forum Index -> Camel Training, For Your Safety and Theirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I love Gobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Hi, everybody! I'm the newest member of this forum, I guess. It doesn't look like people use the Forum very much, but hopefully someone will read my post and reply.
I have always loved Camels, especially Bactrians. I recently saw "The Story Of The Weeping Camel" on TV, and was blown away. Then I found Roger's stories about camping with Gobi. What fun! I never knew Camels could be so much fun! I have so many questions about Camels that I'll start right in. Are they as "delicate" as Llamas? I was looking into buying a few Llamas to use with a cart, but they're so fragile. If they eat the wrong weed, it'll kill 'em. If they catch a chill, they'll die. If they get too stressed, they'll die. If they pick up a snail while they're grazing, they can ingest the Meningial Worm and die. If they get too hot they'll die. Camels aren't that delicate, are they?
Now for a question directly for you, Roger. Has Gobi always been as friendly and amenable as he is now? Have you had him since he was a calf? Do you ever ride him? How old is he? He sounds like such a character, the way you write about him. I wish I didnt' live on the East Coast so I could meet you and him.
Well, I guess that' enough for my first posting. Hope somebody reads it. Thanks for letting me join your family. Very Happy
Onezebra
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llamas and camels are very hearty animals, my animals eat whatever the want when out packing. If thereís plenty of food they know what not to eat, they will take a bite of it and spit it out (Other than Gobi likes to eat plastic bags). Iíve had them out packing on scorching hot days to freezing cold walking over the ice days. On the hot days you have to take it slow and easy on them.
I got Gobi at 2 months old and spent hours a day with him, I was his buddy and we always had a lot of fun together. He is about 6 years old now and still getting into trouble all of the time, doing things like figuring out how to get the door open on the stock trailer and getting into the first aid kit.
I donít ride him, thereís not enough room between his humps.
I love Gobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering, Roger. As you can see, I've fallen in love with your Gobi. I love his antics. He's really got such a personality! Thank-you for all of the photos of him and of Dandy and of your camping trips that you post all over this site. I am haveing a wonderful time visiting each segment of it. It'll take me a week to see everything. Thank-you, thank-you! Very Happy Smile Laughing
Onezebra
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I have been far too busy working with my photography. Last week I spent 4 days at a zebra training clinic and shot 10 hours of high quality video and took some good stills.
Next month it's off to the Missouri camel training clinic for a week of fun, playing with camels and learning more about them. I've also been helping a friend train her Bactrian camel and baby zebra while trying to find time to spend with my animals.

Your never going to see everything here, there's a lot of pages that don't have their links listed that I'm still working on, and I still have thousands of photos to work with from my trip to India; here are some slideshows from that trip.
http://www.camelphotos.com/ss_caravan.html
http://www.camelphotos.com/ss_raceing_camel.html
http://www.camelphotos.com/ss_india_camels.html

Cheers
Roger
I love Gobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links, Roger. Gosh, I never knew Camels are so strong! Some of the loads they're pulling in that last link are amazing! And that's a lot of mail, in the first link. Isn't that black Dromedary beautiful! Personlally, however, I like Bactrians best! The white onesin "The Story Of The Weeping Camel" were just so beautiful, But again, Gobi is just precious! As for the racing link, I just hope the rider doesn't fall off backwards and pull that Camel's nostrils out. Yewoch!
Thank-you for taking the time away from your work and your animals to reply. I'll keep going through your site, and leave you alone now. Have fun on your excursions! Give Gobi a kiss form me, a total stranger. Very Happy Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CamelTraining.com Forum Index -> Camel Training, For Your Safety and Theirs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: